Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ranking the Mission: Impossible Films

Tom Cruise has played Ethan Hunt five times so far.

I meant to do a quick post for this weeks ago, but it slipped my mind. Here is my ranking of the films in the underrated Mission: Impossible franchise.

5. Mission: Impossible II (2000)

A bit too stylish, but it’s not without thrills.

4. Mission: Impossible III (2006)

Solid return to form when the series was lacking.

3. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)

Slick entertainment from beginning to end.

2. Mission: Impossible (1996)

De Palma’s pulp opener is still one of the best.

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)

The most entertaining M:I film. And Rebecca Ferguson, guys.

14 comments:

  1. OMG! It's better than the original!?!?! I need this movie in my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's a razor-thin margin, but right now I prefer Rogue Nation to the original. ;)

      Delete
  2. Rebecca Ferguson was far and away the best thing about Rogue Nation! No complaints from me about it going at the top; I'm actually drafting my own version at the moment so this has got me thinking about it again haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferguson was SO good! It's always interesting to see how people rank films in a series. I don't think I've seen M:I 2 at the top of anybody's list, though. ;)

      Delete
  3. There's something about the sheer, unapologetic awfulness of Part II that I kind of appreciate. It's so spectacularly over the top. But I suppose my favorite would be the first one. De Palma steals my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I like the second film, but it can't compete with the other ones. I go back-and-forth between the first and the fifth as my favorite. It's a tough call.

      Delete
  4. I'll admit, this is a series I'm not friendly with. Haven't seen the latest, but only liked one of the others - Ghost Protocol. For me, that's by far the best in the franchise. I'd have it.

    1. GP

    3. Original


    99. II
    100. III

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, you have #3 at the bottom? That's an interesting choice. Hope you like Rogue Nation, which is more in the vein of Ghost Protocol.

      Delete
  5. YES! I definitely agree w/ your #1 pick, though I might swap #2 and #3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, that Rebecca Ferguson...she legit should get some serious nominations for that role

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Something tells me Ilsa won't return for the sixth film, but I hope I'm wrong.

      Delete
  7. I thought the 2nd and 3rd films were weaker, but really enjoyed MI1,MI4 and MI5.
    Think I'd have MI3 in last place, it was pretty forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the first and last two films, too. They're the best, though I really like what Abrams did with M:I 3.

      Delete